Monday, September 29, 2014

MIM #182 - Mason jar stamping

Holy moley - this challenge was harder than it looked. Melissa Phillips demonstrated heat embossing on Mason jars as this weeks Make it Monday challenge at Papertrey Ink
Each image that finally got embossed was preceded by 2 or 3 that had to be wiped off with surface cleaner because they'd smeared. It might be because I was using larger images that had to be rolled onto the glass but I had even less success with the little stars.

I decided not to paint my jam jar as I want to use it as a tea light holder. I used "tree with trimmings" stamp set to go round the bottom with different sized trees. Because I used Frantage  aged gold embossing powder I lost a lot of the detail inside the trees but I love the colour this powder creates.

Thursday, September 25, 2014

PTI September blog hop #3

I love this colour combination, suggested as part of the inspiration for this months blog hop at Papertrey Ink.

Color-recipe-1
I went with a birthday card, as I know once I slip into Christmas cards there'll be no leaving them for a few months - although I will admit it's got more than a slight Christmassy feel to it. However, the TH stencil is such a perfect fit with the inspiration picture that I couldn't resist using it again.
 

September blog hop #1

I don't think I've taken part in any of this summer's blog hop's at Papertrey Ink, but on a decidedly Autumnal day I finally get a chance to kick back and craft for a few hours.
Here is the inspiration picture.
http://nicholeheady.typepad.com/.a/6a00d8341c64e753ef01b8d06ae1e3970c-pi
The knitted pattern on the sleeve reminded me of the new Tim Holtz "holiday knits" stencil, so I used this for my background, using soft stone and autumn rose inks. As I've said many times before, I have a hard time using embellishments so I'm trying to make myself use them on the basis that practice might lead to some improvement. So I picked the sketch that involved buttons, AND threw a few rhinestones in there to really guild the lily. Still need a bit more practice....

The leaves are from PTI's sweet life. I wanted them muted so used soft stone ink and edged them a little to help then stand out a bit from the same colours in the background.

September Blog Hop #2

When I saw the inspiration picture this the September blog hop at Papertrey Ink, my first idea was to use the galvanized bucket somehow.
http://nicholeheady.typepad.com/.a/6a00d8341c64e753ef01b8d06ae1e3970c-pi
I decided to use the watering can from Garden variety and embossed it a couple of times in silver. I wanted taller flowers than those that came in the same set so used the poppies from last years SAF set, masking off the sides to make it fit in the mouth of the can. I fussy cut a few of the flowers to add some depth, and also to add a couple of extra blooms.
I love how the watering can turned out, but then I couldn't find a spot for the sentiment. I might try this again at some point but rotated to portrait  so the sentiment can go underneath without looking cramped.

Monday, September 22, 2014

MIM #181 - Paper casting

This weeks Make it Monday challenge at Papertrey Ink is supposedly an old technique, but it's new to me so I was keen to have a go. However, I'm not ready to throw myself into Christmas preparations yet so decided to skip the tags approach and go with a fall theme.
These leaves worked really well. I found that die cutting before wetting made the layers stick together pretty well, and I used a mini mister to get it wet enough to get a good imprint from the stamp.
The leaves were still a bit damp when I added the colours (lack of patience rather than a deliberate plan) but it meant that they blended nicely.
I wasn't sure how well the layers stay together once they're dry so the mini attacher seemed like a good approach as it could serve double duty - attaching the leaves to the card but also holding it all together.

Sunday, September 21, 2014

MIM #180 - Paper weaving

A late entry for this week's Make it Monday challenge at Papertrey Ink
I needed a card for my Brother in law so that drove me down a masculine route.

Wednesday, September 10, 2014

SSS Wednesday - Make you own backgrounds

I had been playing with this weeks tutorial on Split coast stampers which suggested using wax paper to help cut intricate dies, and was left with a perfect die cut wax paper doily. The "backgrounds" challenge at SSS Wednesday seemed like a great place to use it.
I used the "ironed wax paper" trick to create a mask, which I then inked over with tumbled glass and milled lavender distress inks. The centre rosette was stamped and embossed with clear embossing powder, then sponged with distress inks.

Monday, September 8, 2014

MIM #179

With a week off between visitors, as well as catching up with housework I thought I'd reward myself with a leisurely play along with this weeks Make It Monday at Papertrey Ink.
I got a little bit of a head start - I had cut out the template when I was planning a card for Lizzie's challenge for Stamp-a-faire (seems a long time ago now) but never got around to using it. I used one of the dies from background basics - diagonals lots of times to fill the area.
I bought the rhinestones for stamp-a-faire day too but never even got to those challenges!I don't use a lot of bling (never sure where to put it) but Betsy's tutorial on the rain stones gave me a bit of help. I did, however, try colouring them with a purple copic marker and this seems to have worked enough to give them a slight touch of colour.