This idea needs a bit more work, but the basic concept is there.
I got a plain, card covered notebook and wrapped a piece of brown ribbon round the centre, leaving long tails for a bow and then covered the outside entirely with a piece of cream cotton fabric and about 3 thick coats of modge podge. Once it was all completely dry I trimmed the edges of any frayed threads and had a really good go at it with a sanding block.
I used some distress inks (peeled paint, marigold and frayed burlap) to add some colour and then stamped all over with a script background stamp in brown ink and one of the tin types patterns in terracotta tile ink.
I used fillable frames #4 on the same cream cotton with distress inks, cut the initials from orange fabric and Headline alphabet and added a few sunflowers from simply sunflowers.
One of the things I like most about the heat n'bond is that the shapes cut much more cleanly than when just cutting fabric on its own.
When I ironed it all in place the modge podge did go a bit sticky (and shiny) but it didn't seem to goop the iron up.