Thursday, September 5, 2013

MIM #130

This was so not how I was planning to spend my week, but this weeks Make It Monday featured Heat n'bond with die cuts and, rather than just make something random to complete the challenge, I decided to skip ahead a few months and make the Christmas banner I had been planning to make some time in November.
I've never used heat n'bond, always being a fan of applique to keep fabric shapes in place, but the Erin's demonstration made it look like fraying wouldn't be an issue so I gave it a go.
I used the 3 bigger dies from snowflake medley and treated each one slightly differently. On the largest snowflake I stamped the corresponding image onto the shape and then used a red marker to pick out some of the lines to make these areas really stand out. The middle snowflake was stitched with a "snowflaky" pattern and I added the letters for MERRY CHRISTMAS, cut out with the Headline alphabet dies to the smallest.
The placement is different on each banner to add a bit of interest.
The banners were 2 layers of fabric with a a layer of iron-on interfacing between them to add structure.
The best part was that the only things I had to buy were the heat n'bond and some olive green thread to attach the ribbon header - everything else was in my remnants drawer.
Finding a way of photographing a 10 foot long banner however presented a few challenges - good job I'm an English girl who wouldn't be without a washing line (despite town by-laws).



3 comments:

  1. This is incredible...you really took this challenge to heart! :0) The detail in this is just amazing and I love every bit of it! Great job! :0)

    ReplyDelete
  2. fabulous bunting (seriously they have by-laws against washing lines!!!).

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hadn't even thought about making banners with this. Oh, looks like I'll need another trip to the fabric store :)

    ReplyDelete